June 18, 2009

My Studio

I love my studio space and thought I'd share it with you. The studio is approximately 9.5' wide by 17' long with 10' ceilings. I have a nice walk in closet - but would love more storage space, of course!

Since this is a relatively small space, it's necessary for me to be organized. I have labeled all the drawers so I know exactly where everything is. I do not work well in chaos and always clean up the debris of one project before starting anew.

My walk in closet has shelving and drawers. The fabric is sorted by color for the most part. I keep silks, organzas and my hand dyed fabrics on separate shelves. The shelving and drawers on the left side (which you cannot see here) hold paints, glues, embroidery threads, batts, silkscreens, etc.

I bought two cabinets from Home Depot (garage storage department). The drawers are very sturdy and came with the drawer pulls. I needed only to add the labels. My husband and I put these together. It took about 2 days. A piece 3/4" finished plywood was painted and sits on top of the cabinets and extends back to the wall and is supported with a ledge. A large self-healing cutting mat covers the plywood.

Cone threads hang on the right wall. A neat peg board above the cutting table is handy too.

Most of my threads are in drawers on either side of the sewing machine cabinet. I found these drawers at IKEA. I love them! My Janome 6600 just fits into the sewing cabinet. I found an acrylic fabricator in town and had an acrylic surround made for the machine. This surround works great, is much stronger and less expensive than the type one can order on line.

The blank wall space in my home is limited. I take pictures of all my work. Framed pictures of my work hang over the cutting table and on the other walls in the studio. I also make dolls. Some of these also hang on the walls.

The design wall folds in half and is covered with flannel. It sits on a ledge and is held in place with mirror clips. I've placed portable spotlights over top.








My husband built all of the bookcases for me. The largest measures about 8.25' high.

I dye some fabrics in the microwave. The cart also holds my serger and toaster oven for polymer clay projects.





I have 4 printers 2 of which are shown here. I use the Epson Pro 3800 strictly for fabric. The CX4600 is used for fabric and paper. My Epson R280 is strictly for paper and the Brother laser only for junk and black and white copies.


I hope you enjoyed the tour. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I miss the studio already ... and you, too, of course LOL! I meant to ask you where you got those cabinets under the cutting surface, so now I know ...

Love you, Mom!

Debra Dixon said...

Looks like you have everything under control. I have some IKEA furniture for my studio-can't beat it!

Anonymous said...

Pat's studio is a WORK OF ART in itself. She is the most organized person I know besides being a fabulous artist, wonderful interior decorator (you'd love her house!), terrific cook, and above all the most wondeful, warm and loyal FRIEND! I am so proud to know her, to have watched her artistic career develop and to be priviledge to own some of her fabulous work!