January 8, 2010

A Little of This - A Little of That

I like making dolls and especially like using what I have on hand to do so. I often start out making an armature of aluminum foil scrunched into a shape. (The end result is always a surprise!)Once I'm satisfied with the shape, I cover it entirely with small bits of masking tape. This enables me to apply either paper clay or wrapped batting with ease.
In this case I used paper clay. The supply I had on hand was almost completely dried out. It was necessary to put the clay into a plastic bag with some water and knead it until it was pliable again. The clay was then rolled out (sandwiched between plastic sheets to keep it from sticking) then applied in small bits to the armature and allowed to dry. (Here the arms are clay wrapped drinking straws.)
These dolls were enhanced with acrylic paints, colored pencils and water colors. The crowns are made of metallic-like paper decorated with puff paints and beads.
The hair is coiled paper strips which I think turned out really well and adds even more whimsy to these little ladies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the little queeny!