September 27, 2010

Boxing Day

It's time to ship the quilts to Germany for exhibit at Carl-Schurz Haus.  I ordered the sturdiest corrugated box I could find from U-line. ( I had to order 5 boxes even though I only needed one.  The box would normally hold a flat screen television - can't get much sturdier than that!)

I learned so much getting ready for this exhibit.  The best phone call I made was to Fedex Trade Networks.  Without the helpful assistance of Odalys Plasencia, a Fedex Trade Networks Customs Broker, I would have torn my hair out figuring out how to go about shipping this large box.  In order to avoid paying duty on the shipment, it was necessary to obtain ATA Carnet documents.  I found out that the price of these documents can vary.  I used Carnets On-Line - these people were also very helpful and provided speedy service at a reasonable fee.

Some of the quilts to be shipped


The quilts were rolled one-at-a-time around 2" pvc pipe.


Four bundles of quilts - each bundle encased in a plastic sleeve.  The wooden hanging slats also needed to be shipped.


The box


Packing material (styrofoam insulation wrapped with plastic) to keep the quilts from rolling around inside the box.

The box packed, sealed and ready for pick-up by Fedex.


Pickup by Fedex - next stop Freiburg!



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So exciting!! Praying they will make it safely to their destination ... and you, too!