October 19, 2010

Freiburg - A Bird's Eye View

No rain today, but no sun either.  It was a fine day to hike up to the top of the Schlossberg Park and climb the lookout tower which is 30 meters high on the Schlossberg Mountain.

about 1/4 of the way up - Munster tower in the background

The French seized control of Freiburg in 1677 and built a huge fortress.  The fort kept control of the city.  Here are the ruins of  the French "Fort d'Aigle," which had been previously at the center of the fortress.  After the French withdrew from Freiburg, the fortress' infrastructure was completely destroyed.

one of the many crosses in the park

initial steps leading to the tower

getting an idea of what lies ahead

getting closer

The numbered steps stop here (153) - BUT there are still 32 more steps to the top!

the views were worth the effort - we were really glad it wasn't a hot day

Going back down was a bit tricky for me since I didn't have hiking boots on.  I'll probably have "black toes" before long!

We ate lunch at a neat little pub and sat at the "locals" table.  We had a wonderful conversation with several people seated there and ate local grub - lentil soup for me; Richard had pork shoulder, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

I found a local quilt shop - Quilt Star - It was a nice little shop, but I didn't buy anything.

We're both tired after a very active day and I am looking forward to putting my feet up and enjoying a glass of wine - or two!

No comments: